Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Week 2 Peru MTC

This is the MTC at Peru (the CCM). This picture would have been worrisome, but here is the explanation..."this is what happens when you run into a dirty rope fence." I wonder why that story didn't get told?
Hi!

Lets see, crazy first day! Didn't get in until 2:30 AM after getting through customs and what not. Got up at 6 and went to breakfast at 7

President Whetten is brand new here, like as in he got here three weeks ago brand new, so the schedule got messed up and everyone was confused as to what was going on.

Breakfast was weird the first day, cantaloup juice...not my fav. Lunch was great, and then we had some meetings and what not for a while until about 3:30 then we were told to go do whatever until dinner at 6. So I couldn't sleep for some reason so I went and threw the disc around with the other American elders that had been here a while.

Dinner was fine, but it was hard to communicate with anybody. They all spoke so fast! and to make matters worse my companion is from Argentina so he has a really weird accent that I still have a tough time understanding him. And after Dinner I got appointed District Leader, but my district only consists of myself, Elder Hall and Elder Gant. And thats all. We are also the only ones in our class. so its really nice because its almost like a private tutor.

I'm significantly ahead of everyone else as far as language goes so its good I'm to act as a translator as best I can. There is only actually like 12 North American Missionaries here at the CCM, 2 of which are sisters.

My companion is pretty cool, he's 22 loves rugby and unfortunately he loves the Spurs as well. He knows a couple english phrases, some of which are not the best missionary phrases, and thats about it.

Right now as far as spanish goes I'm really focusing on speaking the language because thats what is really hard for me to do. I can understand most everything gospel related that they throw at me, but sometimes the talk so fast and use words I don't know and I get tottaly lost.

My stomach had a few issues adjusting to the food at first but now its ok. The food is for the most part very good, very different but very good. Occasionally there is something really nasty that I try and don't ever wanna touch again in my life.

The other day my companion asked me why I have to be here for 6 weeks, apparently he thought my spanish was good enough to get out into the field. It definitely needs work though. Past tense is somewhat difficult still for me to do.

Everything here is done in spanish. We only here broken english to explain some things sometimes and in Priesthood. And when we talk amongst ourselves. other than that its all in Spanish.

Futbol is the big thing here, we play it every gym period. Yesterday a few of us played some volleyball though. But I usually play goalie, because my ball handlings are terrible in comparison to the latinos. I'm gonna try to go play some more power foward next time around here.
We teach everyday in spanish usually twice a day, so that really helps with the spanish.

Today we went on the bus to the store and by the temple. Holy cats! Those bus drivers are CRAZY!!! yikes! but we are alive and it was fun to see a little bit of the city

Love ya
Elder Patrik Connole
PS to use the Pouch system send a letter to
Lima PerĂº MTC
P.O. Box 30150
Salt Lake City UT

Follow pouch rules and packages are still not recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment